Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Old Bed Looks New


I inherited my grandparents’ lovely Queen Anne oak double bed frame.  It had sat in my Nan’s shed in Raglan for years without a bed base or mattress.  I asked my husband to create a wooden frame to hold the weight of a mattress and two people and in return Gig produced a slate base using some old wood and building strapping .. thingee, watchacallit.  It was perfect!  

The bed found its place in our spare room at Wiltshire, then it became Aaliyah's bed when we moved to the Ponderosa.  When we renovating Aaliyahs room (AALIYAH'S ROOM REVEALED), the bed went into our shed until we finished renovating the outhouse.

I loved the bedhead the way it was, but decided to rejuvenate it by giving a splash of paint. Colour of choice ASCP Antoinette with white wax.

Before
 
First Coat of Paint
Finished product!

The bed now serves as a daybed in the outhouse and I just love the finished product.  Whenever I see this bed, I reflect on it's history and stories from the past and of the different families it has been apart of.  

As a side note, I need to work on my dressing skills for my photos.  In my head I can hear my cousin Marian reviewing me and I am positive she would have a lot of say about improvement.

Happy loving peeps!

No comments:

Post a Comment