Monday, April 9, 2012

Pickled Celery, Spring Onion & Chilli Salad

It's definitely been awhile since I took any photo's of food that I have created and during such a wonderful Easter weekend at home pottering about and enjoying myself, I decided to try something new for an unprompted dinner with friends and whanau who visited.




I love celery when it's fresh and crunchy, but some of my friends aren't too keen on it at all.  I remember as a child eating celery sticks with peanut butter for an afternoon snack after school.  Hmmmmmm the memories!!!


This is dead easy to make and tastes FAB-U-LICIOUS!!  As long as you have a full head of celery, you can pretty much add any other vegetables and condiments as you'd like. 


I used celery, spring onions and chilli, all of which were either in my vegetable garden or in my fridge. You pickle the celery by adding equal parts of salt and sugar to the finely chopped celery, then mix it all together and let it do it's thing for about 30 mins.  After that time, make sure to squeeze all the liquid out of the celery before adding it to the rest of your ingredients (which should be in another bowl).


I place chopped chilli (seeds and all), finely chopped spring onions, toasted sesame seeds, salt & pepper and the dressing with the pickled celery.

Dressing is simple.  White vinegar and sugar in a pot and reduce to 1/4, without stirring.  Let cool then add to salad and toss. 



It took 30 mins to make and about 5 mins to devour for dinner.











4 comments:

  1. how much vinegar to sugar for the dressing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. Thanks for the query. It's about 1/4 cup of sugar to 1/3 cup of white vinegar .. turns out like a sour toffee.

      Delete
  2. Thank you! It's absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete