Saturday, April 7, 2012

Propagating From The Garden

There is something fulfilling about propagating from your garden because you are utilising what you already have.  All you need is some empty pots or trays, some descent potting mix, some hormone gel or powder to kick start the process and your favourite plants.

I have to be honest though.  When you live for 6 years in a dream home where the gardens are so low in maintenance that the most work needing your attention is trimming your buxus and corokia's every now and again, it takes a little time to find your rhythm again. In saying this, when you have 9 acres of potential, finding your rhythm for propagating comes flowing back in a flash.   Although it takes more time to get the results, it saves a truck load of cash.
Preparing for Propagating ... the glass of water was for me


This morning I planned to bake, however when our beloved chooks failed to produce any eggs, I set my mind on taking cuttings from the garden instead.  Just quietly, I think "the gals" were still a little traumatised from visiting children trying the chase them all night.



I'm a huge fan of mass planting because I think it gives structure to your garden so this morning I thought what do I need in mass.  Straight away, I thought lavender for a number of reasons - lavender brings bees and bees make honey (I plan to get my own hive in October).  Lavender smells delicious, and can be used in many home remedies including food.  I'd also like a beautiful low hedge of lavender - location yet to be confirmed but most of all, I have three smallish lavender plants situated in the front of our verandah and I know they won't live there for much longer.  So what better way to pay homage, than to propagate these 3 plants and spread their love all over the garden.


I also found a lovely row of corokia's behind the back shed or what I call "the outhouse".  These look fabulous as a hedge plus shelter the outhouse from the prevailing winds so I thought we could do with some more of those.

I'm also a fan of camellia's not only because they have beautiful flowers but because they are evergreen and in winter when all your summer and autumn colours have disappeared, your camellias take front row and centre and lift your garden.  I have a camellia that shelters the carport from the roadside and it's currently 5m x 6m so I'm guessing it's pretty old. I have no idea what type it is or even what colour it's blooms are as the buds are yet to give me any indication, but I have a sneaky suspicion they will be pink.  I have plans for a camellia hedge under the gum tree so they will be on my list as well.


Lastly, I have some beautiful old fashion roses.  I am was quite reluctant to take cuttings of these so early however my husband plans to demolish the garden they are currently in to make way for the kitchen/dining extension.  I plan to transplant them elsewhere to a special rose garden - location yet to be confirmed.



The afternoon proved very productive resulting in over 200 cuttings now resting nicely in the greenhouse.  Fingers crossed the return will be higher than 80% after 8-12 weeks.  



Finished Results



1 comment:

  1. Whats the plan for the olive tree? Do you have to find another Olive tree to make baby olive trees... well other than bees. Oh you need beehives... Oh yummy HONEY....

    ReplyDelete