Monday, April 23, 2012

If At First You Don't Succeed, Try And Try Again

It's common sense isn't it?  I mean we are bought into this world to take risks and test ourselves on our own abilities in life.  That's how we learn, how we progress isn't it?  Maybe so, or maybe it's the fact it's nearly midnight and I thinking to myself as I type this, that it's a little too deep for this time of the night.


Yes ... so .... I wanted to share with you my latest creations I decided to test over the past week.  The first is what I call my Retro Rose Cake.  I saw something similar on a blog I Am Baker and thought I'd give it go. Unfortunately the frosting was too wet and because my visitors were arriving within 15 mins of me finishing it, I had to improvise with black in white sprinkles :-(  In saying this, I love how the colour came out but I have learnt from this mistake and will ensure next time it comes out PERFECT!!!!

A work in progress for sure ... I call it my Retro Rose Cake

My second creation is a Chocolate Ruffle Cake which was a lot more successful than the Retro Rose Cake.  I made this for Sharianne Rangitaawa's 20th birthday.  It was a surprise from her mother Dora.


I decided to try a new frosting recipe I found on a blog called Let Them Eat Cake!!  The recipe was so quick and easy I was really amazed with the results.  In fact, the recipe called for Dutch Cocoa to not only give it a rich flavour, but the dark chocolate colour too.  Unfortunately I used the last of the dutch cocoa in the cake itself, so I decided to use my budget out of the box cocoa instead .. end result ... colour was brilliant .. flavour was awesome!!!!


I have tried the ruffled effect before on a couple of other cakes, so I knew what to expect.  What surprised me was just how beautiful the finished product was.  






Unfortunately I need to work on my photography skills because this is the best photo I got before it was taken away to be devoured by Dora, Sharianne and the rest of the whanau.  Learning from this cake ... get better photo's :-)


Have a great night!!







No comments:

Post a Comment