Monday, April 23, 2012

The Olive Grove

Olive Grove - A small group of olive trees.

The past week has been hectic for me and my whanau therefore many jobs are needed to be completed around the Ponderosa - one of which is planting the olive grove.  

I was gifted an olive tree as a house warming present from our good friends Viv and Kev and I knew that one plant would be the beginning of the olive grove.  The olive type they gave was 'ASCOLANO' and the standard tag that came with it from mitre 10 stated it was a reliable heavy cropper that produces a good table olive with a delicate flavour.  Great I thought, I just need to find the right place for it because I knew my husband would be reminding me constantly that I need to find a home for it.

I took the placement of this tree seriously, therefore after a few weeks I decided that I wanted the tree to go in the back paddock by the chook coop.   Mainly so that it didn't impede on any of our views, had easy access to cultivate the crop, plus provide some shelter for "the gals".  The soil is pretty good there with the exception of the pine trees being thirsty.

After studying my trusty book "Tui - The NZ Fruit Garden" (which my beautiful mother gave when I moved into the Ponderosa) it stated olive trees will tolerate the most unfavourable conditions including prevailing winds, but needed good drainage so I thought, yip ... by the chook coop it is.  I just need a few more trees to accompany this lone tree.

So off to mitre 10 we went to get a few more trees.  5 more in fact - another two ASCOLANO, 1 x FRANTOIO, 1 X PENDOLINO and 1 x LECCINO.  We chose the other types because the mighty tag stated they were good cropping trees for making oil and if planted together would produce better.  I am a little sceptical about these tags, but it's a learning exercise that only time will tell I suppose ... and I'm sure I'll learn a lot from.

After a number of weeks contemplating where to establish the olive grove and numerous glasses of red wine I am very happy with the end result. I can visualise the trees providing nice structure once they are established.

I've always wanted to plant olive trees, ultimately to make olive oil, however I haven't had the land to bring this want into fruition.....UNTIL NOW :-)  Thanks Viv and Kev for the inspiration to kick start the olive grove.

My husband and our beloved dog PAL finishing planting the trees


The gifted tree ... with our cheeky dog JOSEPH in the background
Our Olive Grove .... Small, but with big plans!!!!

Have a great day!!





No comments:

Post a Comment