Thursday, November 13, 2014

Awaiting The Fruits Of Our Labour

The Ponderosa sure does look wonderful this time of year and with the weather being so lovely I found myself wondering around looking at all the fruit trees we have planted over the past 12 months.  I blogged about these in HOMEGROWN FOOD.

To my excitement, they are beginning to show some really positive signs of our expected summer crops.

The property has 5 plum trees now with all of them showing great produce. The Japanese plum tree is a mature tree that was on the property when we arrived with its fruit having a lovely sweet yellow flesh with ruby skin. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get a good photo of the tree to show all the fruit.


4 of our 5 plum trees.  The tree in the top left has a wonderful yellow flesh & skin which we bought with us from our previous property.  The other 3 are black doris plums.
All 5 of our cherry trees are showing great signs of fruit and I'm very determine to get some fruit before the birds beat me to it.  Fingers crossed I win!!!

3 of our 5 cherry trees.  I'm determined to get some fruit this year before the birds get to them.
We have planted 7 peach trees.  4 of our favourite variety - Golden Queen and 3 dwarf peaches which have a lovely red skin.  I expected it would take a few years for our golden queens to establish themselves before producing the volumes we wish for because we love this variety so much.  Imagine my surprise to find that they were performing better than anticipated.  Although we won't get dozens of fruit, just to have a taste for a couple of days will be suffice for now.

Our dwarf peaches on the other hand are coming along leaps and bounds.  These are the same trees I shared in my blog SPRING BLOSSOMS.  For small trees they are loaded with fruit and I'm so glad I didn't move them like I had intentions to.

3 of our 7 peach trees fruiting well.  Fingers crossed our Golden Queens produce the goodies


Lastly is our nectarine tree.  I've never had much success growing nectarines so this tree is special.  It sits pride of place between the homestead and our shed and last year it produced one lonely fruit - yes ONE.  Every day we would inspect the fruit to see if it was ripe and it was a race between the whanau to see who got to try it first.  Husband 1 - Rest of us - 0.  In fact he devoured it all by himself.  This year the tree is showing signs of at least two nectarines.  :-)Fingers cross my husband shares this season. 

Our nectarine tree.  Not a good photo of the tree, but the pooch looks cute!
Given it's only been 12 months for alot of these fruit trees to establish and we aren't talking production that will "feed the multitudes", I'm still pretty happy with where we are at.  In fact, I'm pretty excited about it!!

Happy living people!!













No comments:

Post a Comment