Monday, January 5, 2015

Toffeed Fruit Salad

I must admit that when it comes to creating dishes, I prefer something easy and not overly complicated but packed with flavour.   It's not that I can't be bothered putting a lot of effort into cooking, it just means when the family are hungry, the food needs to be on the table with as little stress as possible and if this means in less than an hour, then that's even better.  If it's a dish that needs a little time to marinade or do it's thing, then again, it's got to be fairly simple.

I have a few cooks/chefs that I love and if I'm totally honest, my favourite TV channel is the Food Channel especially when cooks/chefs such as Jamie Oliver & Nigella are on.  Their food seems to connect with me and let's face it, they don't seem too bothered with the fancy stuff.

There's also a couple of NZ cooks/chefs that I love as well with Anne Thorpe and Annabel Langbein being right up there.  To me, it's not just about their food - they have a point of difference in their purpose.  Anne Thorpe's food is gorgeous and through her fight with cancer she's chosen dishes that are good for the body and soul.  Annabel's current purpose is all about helping create dishes from her garden whilst teaching people how to create a garden as well which is something I can connect with.

I have many of Annabel Langbeins books and was pleased to receive her latest one from the girls this xmas.  I also received Anne Thorpes book Kai Ora for xmas not once, but twice a few years back, so one sits at home with me and the other is at the beach house in Matarangi. 

I have created many of Anne & Annabel's dishes and even placed my little twist on them every now and again when I don't quite have the right ingredients or enough to feed the multitudes, but to me, that's what food is about.  Playing around with flavours that you like and making it work for you and your family and the following experience is an example of this.

I had the extended family coming over for dinner the other day, so thought I'd give Annabel's Toffeed Oranges with Honey Ginger Yogurt a go.  Unfortunately I didn't have the required 10 oranges so decided to use the two I had and mixed them up with strawberries and a few kiwifruit.  I also decided not to make as much toffee to reduce the sugar levels in the dish.  Final result - absolutely stunning!!!


Recipe is easy - 10 oranges sliced or diced dependant on the look you are going for .. OR a combination of fruit (about 1 kg altogether).  Place them into a large flat dish and add 2 tablespoons of cointreau or orange liquor (if you don't have it, then leave it out).  Mix together and then make the toffee.  

The toffee is 1 cup of sugar and 1/4 cup of water, heat on low until the toffee is dissolved then turn up high and let it bubble away without stirring until it turns golden making sure it doesn't crystallise.   Pour all over the fruit and let it stand for at least 1-2 hours.  The toffee bubbles as you pour it over the fruit then sets to begin with, but after awhile the toffee liquifies as it reacts with the fruit.  Although I used half these measurements for my toffee, it was gorgeous.

The honey and ginger yoghurt is simple.  1 cup of natural unsweetened yoghurt, 1 tsp of ground ginger and 3 tablespoons of honey. 

Divide your fruit into 6 serving dishes, then top with yoghurt before serving.

Happy living people!!




No comments:

Post a Comment