Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Waikato Te Awa

Easter is generally a time for me to chill and relax after a very busy couple of months leading up to it, however this year I did something quite different.  This year I participated in a journey of discovery along the Waikato river - Te Tira Hoe o Waikato 2015.

The official documentation I recieved after enrolment was the "tira" is an opportunity for the people of Waikato-Tainui to take a journey on the Waikato river aimed at reinforcing the relationship between the people and their awa (river) - that being my people and my awa.

I have whanau and friends who had already taken this journey in previous years, all coming away saying how truly awesome it was for them.  With that said, I entered into the tira with an open mind and without any expectations, BUT there were places along the journey that I wanted to rediscover, if only to rekindle some wonderful childhood memories growing up under the guidance of my grandparents on the awa and the stories they shared with me.

Upon reflection, my grandparents taught me that the awa will provide strength and direction for us throughout our lives. It flows through us, just as we flow through it. With every turn, there is a purpose and with every purpose there is knowledge to be gained or lessons to be learnt. The awa must be respected and we must look after it, so the awa can continue to look after us long after we have physically left this life. 

The journey covered a distance of 125 km by river and 300 kms by road, from the source of the awa at Waikato Iti to the mouth at Port Waikato and it truly was an uplifing experience - physically, spiritually, socially and emotionally. Connections reclaimed. New relationships formed. New knowledge gained. Lessons learnt. Tears shed. Laughter had. Respect confirmed. Purpose delivered!!!












I am very humbled to have been a part of this journey with the other 70 plus whanau who came along with me.  It's an experience that I am proud that I lived, that I loved and more importantly that I learnt. 

I thoroughly encourage all Waikato-Tainui whanau who are registered with the tribe to take on this journey. It will be one of the best investments into your future you will ever make.

Through my grandparents, and now through Te Tira Hoe o Waikato 2015, my connection to the awa remains strong.  It has, and always will continue to nourish me physically, socially, emotionally and spiritually.  It's now my turn to ensure I repay that commitment.

MANGOHIKUROA TE WAKA!!


   

No comments:

Post a Comment