Thursday, March 31, 2016

Glass Cabinet Conversion

I get some furniture pieces every now and again with this wonderful idea of where it will go inside the house and what function it will have, and as it sits waiting to be revamped, plans change.  This piece is a shining example of that. 

I picked it up years ago in Morrinsville with the idea that it would be converted from the beautiful queen anne glass display cabinet (which had a broken leg and missing glass) into a shoe storage display unit in Aaliyah's room.  My thoughts were to paint the whole thing black including the glass at the back and sides of the unit so that her heels would be the feature of the piece, displayed through the glass in the front.

The room was renovated and as furniture went into the room, Aaliyah decided she didn't want the piece anymore.  It sat in our shed for a month or so more until I came home one day and my husband Gig had decided to use it as storage for sports/hunting gear.  

He replaced all the glass with old wood he had laying around, sanded it back, then painted it.  ASCP Olive was his colour of choice (inside and out) with the handle painted ASCP Duck Egg Blue to break the piece up.  I am just gutted I didn't get a before photo of the piece.



I think it looks fabulous in our room and adds that much needed storage.

If you have a piece of furniture that could do with a make over, then I encourage you give it a spruce with a coat of paint.  You'll be surprised with how fabulous it will turn out.

Happy learning peeps!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment