Monday, April 18, 2016

Poached Feijoas

Last night my husband walked inside with a huge bucket of feijoas he had picked from our trees saying "what will we do with these?" I knew my family would want to have some but with Gig's friend over for dinner, I immediately decided to try this new recipe for dessert.  Simple decision turned into a challenge considering he told me after I started the dish he had never tried feijoas in his life.

The coconut sugar is what makes the syrup brown.  If you don't have any then simply use normal sugar, or for a healthier option use maple syrup or honey.  You won't need a lot if you are using a sweet wine.  If you don't have a sweet wine, or prefer not to use it, then just use water with your sugar, honey or maple syrup.  Whatever you do, don't leave out the bay leaves as this is what balances the whole dish.

I used my paleo version of my homemade GRANOLA but you can simply use toasted nuts.

This dish was a huge success with Gig and his friend demolishing it!!

Ingredients
16-20 feijoas peeled
1 1/2 cup of sweet wine
2 bay leaves
1 vanilla pod, split and scraped
Juice of one lemon
1/4 - 1/2 cup of coconut sugar (depending on your sweet tooth)


Method
Place all the ingredients in a saucepan and simmer for about 10 mintues.

Take the fruit out, then turn the heat up until the syrup reduces by half. 

Pour the juice over the fruit and serve with greek yohurt & toasted nuts.

Serves 4

Happy living peeps!


.

1 comment: