Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Importance of Water



This weather is absolutely wonderful.  High 20's, sunshine all day long means an opportunity to swim, outdoor living, inviting friends over for drinks and BBQ's .. the list goes on.  It really is lovely, however the down side is more sun means less water and living on the ponderosa has provided a new prespective on how important water is to us.

This is the first house where I've had to considerably watch our water consumption because once our water tank is empty, we have to buy a truck load of water for anything from $200 to $300.

In the past, I've thought in some respect that our water consumption has always been pretty good, however in reality I could always turn on the tap and know that water was going to come out of it.  Washing the car to watering the grass were things I considered pretty important to me when I lived the lifestyle of suburbia.  Now reflecting, I've realised those things are not as important as I thought.  What is, is just having enough for the necessities such as drinking.

Having two teenage girls is a challenge when it comes to water, but we are all learning as we go.  The grass is VERY dry, and in some cases, there isn't any grass at all.  The gardens are looking dry and next summer I need to consider more mulch in the winter/spring time to keep the moisture in the ground.

Yes, this year has been a very good learning curve for me and my whanau in regard to our water consumption and we definitely need to look at better ways of preserving water and not wasting it.

Have a great day peeps!!




No comments:

Post a Comment