Monday, May 25, 2015

Fab-u-licious Feijoas

Feijoas have to be one of the best fruits available in New Zealand and from April to May we get a continuous supply of them.  In fact we have about 10 trees of different varieties all formed into a hedge around our garden shed.

To me feijoas send back wonderful childhood memories of sitting under neath my grandparents feijoa tree in Ngaruawahia with my cousins having to spoon all the flesh in a bowl.  It usually went half in the bowl and half in my mouth.  We would take the bowl inside and add sugar .. then eat it all ..and start all over again.

Later in life I purchased my grandparents property and continued reaping the rewards of their wonderful feijoa tree.  When my daughters were old enough, their daily job for the 3 weeks this tree fruited was to pick the fruit up.  We would get a supermarket bag everyday.  It was awesome for the first couple of weeks but in the end I would end up sending bags all over the neighbourhood.  Of course we couldn't eat a supermarket bag of feijoas each day so I would take all the flesh out just as I did as a child and freeze it down.

Every home I've lived in since purchasing my grandparents home has included a feijoa tree or four, although now I don't put sugar in with the feijoa flesh, I tend to use honey for a healthier version to sweetness.


Feijoa's freshly gathered.

Feijoa pulp ready to freeze

I find the best recipes for feijoas is anything that uses banana as the main flavour, such as banana cake or banana loaf, although my favourite has to be fresh from the fruit.

Happy living peeps!!



No comments:

Post a Comment