Monday, February 16, 2015

Homemade Vanilla Extract

Last week I decided to make another batch of vanilla extract because the batch I made a year ago had all gone :-(   The reason why I make my own is mainly because it's so damn expensive for good quality vanilla extract and so damn easy to do it yourself.

Ingredients is pretty simple.  Vanilla beans and alcohol.  Equipment is even easier.  Bottle (or sealable jar), jug and funnel.  Place the beans in the bottle and top with the alcohol.  Place the lid on and let it steep for as long as you can.  The longer the better.


Equipment and ingredients

Beans in the bottle with the alcohol

One week of brewing
I tend to cut the beans in half to release more flavour quickly and I also tend to leave the beans in the alcohol.  The longer you leave the beans in the stronger it gets, then it's just a matter of sitting back and enjoying the flavour in your baking, coffee or whatever your heart desires.

Happy living peeps!



No comments:

Post a Comment