Monday, March 9, 2015

Kia Ora Kai Ora

Today is the first time since the 16th February 2015 that I've logged into my blog with a view to post something.  Upon reflection, time has flown by, but I wanted to share a great experience I had working alongside one of my favourite NZ chefs/cook - Anne Thorpe.

I blogged about Anne in January in TOFFEE FRUIT SALAD.  Within a week of posting that blog I was presented with an opportunity to work with Anne on a very special project.  A fundraiser for Te Whakaruruhau - Maori Womens Refuge.  I couldn't believe it! 

I have worked with Te Whakaruruhau for a couple of years now.  They provide such a wonderful and beneficial service to the community by providing guidance and help on domestic violence and abusive environments for maori women, families and children so couldn't turn a blind eye by not getting involved.

Te Whakaruruhau had asked Anne to showcase her talents at the fundraiser and she accepted.    The fundraiser was a huge success and working with Anne and her team was such an honour.  We have kept in contact ever since the event and I hope that we have another opportunity to work with each other in the near future.


My dear cousin and collegue Mereaina Herangi, Anne Thorpe and myself

In regard to Te Whakaruruhau?  Whether society wants to acknowledge it or not, I believe everyone knows someone who has been placed is an abusive situation therefore it's a topic that can not be dismissed.   If you know someone that needs help, and you don't quite know how to go about it, then simply contact Te Whakaruruahu.  You could save their life.  

Happy living people!



No comments:

Post a Comment