Wednesday, June 17, 2015

West Garden Revamp

On the west side of the home paddock at the Ponderosa, is a wonderful part of the garden that I think has potential for a more formal look about it.

When we first moved on to the property, this particular garden had a mish mash of different plants that didn't really do anything for me.  One day when we had a digger to lay some power to our shed, I jumped on the digger and had a play to pull out what was in this particular garden.  A job that would've taken half a day took about an hour once I got the hang of things.

Because it's on the other side of our rose garden, it backs onto the new recycled fence that we did and I blogged about it in NEW ROSE GARDEN.  This will form a wonderful backdrop for the garden.

I am a great believer in planting in mass, which basically means planting the same plant in bulk.  I think it adds a more dramatic and finished structure to a garden as opposed to having a mix of different plants in the same space.

So in saying this, I've (with the help of my wonderful husband Gig), planted some port wine magnolias which will form a hedge against the fence.  This plant is quite fast growing and has a wonderful scented deep red flower that flowers from spring through to autumn, which is just stunning. 

In front of the port wines, I've planted some dietes glandiflora which looks like a long grass and has beautiful white and purple flowers.  I wanted these plants to add "texture" as oppose to the flowers which flower from summer through to autumn.

In front of the dietes, I've planted some gorgeous puple iris, in fact 100 of them.  Of course, the flowers are seasonal which means spring time but the foliage may stay all year round.   I love this flower and can't wait to see how these turn out.



Weedmat on our property is essential and although I haven't put any mulch down, it is in the pipeline once the iris' look like they care coming through.  I also haven't decided on how to frame the garden with a final planting in front of the iris'.  All I know is that plant will be planted in mass, like the others, and will be low growing, but not ground covering.

Once I figure that out, the garden will be complete.

Happy living peeps!


No comments:

Post a Comment